Thursday, 21 April 2011 16:10

Dogs can die from Easter chocolate

Treating your dog to an Easter chocolate could lead to its death, warned the State Liberal’s friendly veterinarian Dr Duncan McFetridge.

Dr McFetridge, a vet for more than 20 years, said chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which can be toxic to dogs and cats.

“Chemicals found in chocolate can easily build up in a dog’s system potentially leading to a heart attack,” Dr McFetridge said.

“It is important for people to remember that dogs have a sweet tooth but foods we enjoy eating are not necessarily safe to feed to the family pet.”

Dr McFetridge urges dog owners to be especially aware of their animals needs during the five day public holiday break.

“Cooked bones should also never be fed to dogs and cats as they can split with slithers catching or sticking into the digestive system and cause major blockages and tears,” he said.

“Remember to also provide shade and plenty of cool drinking water for their animals.

“Never leave your pet unattended in a car during warm days as heat stroke, brain damage and death can occur in just six minutes.

“If you are at all worried about your pets over the holiday break then contact your vet.  Waiting until after the holidays can prove costly and even fatal for your pet.”

Read 3422 times Last modified on Thursday, 05 May 2011 11:57

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.